pinky-wink
Saturday, October 01, 2005
Someone stole my laptop ...
It happened at school while I was right outside the room. The last bell had rung, I was doing hall duty, came back in the room and it was gone. Whoosh! Just like that.

Beyond the typical laptop withdrawal, I am of course concerned about the personal info on the laptop. Pictures, music, some financial stuff, etc. If anyone has any advice on how to best contain the damage from losing a laptop, I'd love to hear it.

I made the mistake on Monday (when the theft occurred) of going to the Urbana Police Department. After waiting almost an hour to see an officer, the man I did see informed me that he was leaving on vacation the next day and the case would be transferred to another officer. He assumed the other officer would be coming by the school on Tuesday to interview some kids, get more detailed information, etc.

Tuesday came and went - I called the department in the afternoon and was informed by the receptionist that the chances of recovery were slim (thanks! maybe we shouldn't even bother investigating?). I talked to her supervisor who told me he would send someone over and get back to me.

Wednesday came and went. I heard there was an officer in to see the principal, but no one contacted me and students were not interviewed by the police.

Thursday came and went. Friday came and went. Nothing. No investigation at all.

Now it is Saturday and I am using a borrowed computer. If this is the kind of response the UPD gives to a white, middle class, public employee who has a $1000 computer stolen from his classroom, can you just imagine the kind of treatment the folks on the way to county lock-up are receiving? Can you imagine how I might be treated if I lived in a bad neighborhood and I had a break-in?

I used to enjoy the fact that I can spin around town 10-15 miles over the speed limit and a UPD officer wouldn't even look twice. I used to like the fact that I could go weeks without even seeing a police car in my neighborhood. It made me feel safer, actually, to not have the cops around.

Now I realize that it might be nice to actually have a police department that serves the citizens. You know, the kind that would spend a couple of hours investigating a theft at a public school, or maybe occasionally roll through a neighborhood and give a wave - that kind of thing.

Where’s Barney Fife when you need him anyway?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think you’ve got it bad?

I just bought a second-hand laptop from some guy on the street and, in addition to spending a good hour delete all of the links for various gadgets and pumps and creams and lotions , I had to go through and get rid of a ton of Stryper, Sandi Patti and Amy Grant MP3s.

As if that were not bad enough, I totally forgot my favorite coffee shop, Starbucks, does not even have WiFi.

10/06/2005 4:58 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Mr. Foley,

This is Heather Stewart from your history class five years ago...I had an environmental economic policy exam today in which consisted of labeling the countries of Africa amoung a thousand other questions. I just wanted to thank you for teaching us the Africa Song, it came in handy and I know I aced that part. I told my teacher about it here at Michigan State and he wants to hear the Africa song...I was looking for your website that I thought had the song on it but without success. If you could e-mail (stewa357@msu.edu) me the address of the website if you still have it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much and I hope all is well in your life. Sorry about the laptop, that really sucks, I don't know what's gotten into kids today. We seems to be getting worse as time goes by.

10/06/2005 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who swiped your laptop, some thieving dirtball kid, or some poor misunderstood child that was forced to steal by circumstances beyond his control?

Who swiped it, some punk, or what society has done to some unfortunate soul?

Where's the forgiveness?

10/13/2005 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You posted, invited comments, didn't like those comments, took down the post, altered it, and then put it back up.

It's your blog, but if that is any indication how you teach our children you are a very dangerous man.

You are the type of person who expects others to tell the truth, not cover up, and not dissemble, but you do them with impunity, almost glee.

You are, to rational, engaged, educated, caring, intellectually honest people, the Devil incarnate. You are evil.

10/15/2005 12:25 PM  
Blogger Pinky Winky said...

at least you know my name :)

it's a blog, buddy. get over it.

10/15/2005 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least I know your name?

Heather said, "Mr. Foley ... history class five years ago".

Mark Foley, history teacher, Urbana High.

How tough is that?

I care about how our children our taught, especially something as subjective as history.

That is why you are dangerous. Because you are intellectually dishonest. I don't care about your politics, or even if you teach "from the left" or "from the right". You just seem so dishonest.

I am over it. I just like poking holes in big windbags, like you.

10/15/2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger Pinky Winky said...

Intellectually dishonest? This from a guy who goes by "Anonymous" while calling a complete stranger:

a very dangerous man
a windbag
the Devil incarnate.


and finally ... evil.

Might I suggest Xanac, or perhaps Clonopin? Or do you just need a nice serving of prunes?

10/15/2005 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home